Wednesday, November 11, 2009

the wheels on the bus...



i was flat hunting again tonight, this time in barbican (close by) and stoke newington (too far to walk on a school night). Christine and I also needed to run to Beth's to pick up some emergency loaner cocktail dresses for our annual office awards party. fun!

the first flat was super cool, the room was huge, and it was walking distance to work. hopefully they call me back! i made a quick pit stop at Beth's to pick up the dresses, which Christine took back with her so i wouldn't have to take them...

on the bus!

busses scare me. they make frequent inexplicable stops, sometimes don't stop when you think they're going to, have a confusing ticketing system, and strange buttons everywhere. however, EVERYONE here takes the bus. you have to. the tube, much as i love it, just doesn't go everywhere. Beth and Christine helped me figure out online where to pick up a bus from angel to stoke newington, and i set off to get some cash and then top up my oyster card.

standing in line at the tube station to top up, a man tapped me on the shoulder and handed me an all-day pass. he said i looked confused (permanent state of being, really) and that he was done using it. score! saved me £4!!

the bus came right away and i realized that it would be really, really hard to screw things up because:

- a voice came over the loudspeaker before we stopped each time
- there was an electronic screen in the bus telling you what the next stop was

even i could figure it out! i successfully made it to my destination, met a cool dude in the flat (smokers though, i just can't do it) and got back on the bus to go home. the return bus made no announcements about when/where we were stopping, and i was a little perplexed, which resulted in me getting off about two blocks too early. better than two blocks in the wrong direction i guess?

at any rate, i'm no longer afraid of the bus! hooray!

No comments: