Friday, November 20, 2009

moving on up...in EC1

moving day! i finally got into my new digs tonight, thanks to Christine, Beth, and a rather unwilling mini cab driver from addison lee. i just had too much stuff to carry, so i called a mini cab...the driver wasn't so keen on being a "moving van" even though the dispatcher said it was fine. we haggled back and forth a few times and i eventually said in a serious voice "i ride with your cab company six times a week, so i'm glad you're able to be flexible with me." happy he wasn't, but he at least loaded up the stuff and even helped us dump it on the sidewalk in front of my new place!

ironically, the hot water heater is in my bedroom closet, which means the room can get...balls hot. this is funny to me because my old bedroom was above the boiler room, which meant that it was also...balls hot. ha! at least my windows open.

my new flatmate Ly showed me the weekly cleaning schedule, where i could put my food in the cabinets, the central vac system (!) etc. it took me a good five minutes to get out the front door last night because i couldn't figure out how to unlock it (it was midnight and i didn't want to wake my flatmates...if they were even here). Beth had to stick her head in the mailslot and instruct me how to open the door. :-)


Christine shot this from the street. There's Beth...I'm on the other side of the door panicking...





No comments: