Wednesday, January 6, 2010

getting creative

i realized over the Christmas break that apart from running, i don't really have any hobbies here that don't involve drinking. and i usually wind up going for drinks after i run so that doesn't even count. i used to be a well-rounded person, i swear it! so, i'm digging deep into my memory to try and remember things i might be able to do that don't involve imperial pints of hard cider.

this is what i've come up with so far:

- yoga - i found a potentially free class in Soho on Mondays (well, £2.40 with bus fare). this will help me be more flexible as a runner and also make me a calmer person. Jim and I played with the blood pressure monitor at Wal-Mart last week and my stats were a bit alarming...

- volunteering - i was training with Ronald McDonald House when I left the States and I just discovered that they have one in London! i've contacted them and am currently playing phone tag with the house manager to try and set something up.

- green gym - technically volunteering as well, but they have a group here called the Carbon Army who run around planting trees and things. i was actually supposed to do it this saturday but it is too snowy to be planting stuff right now.

- knitting - i'm working on a blanket for my new niece and there is a knitting group off the waterloo line that meets on wednesdays. however, waterloo line costs extra and also, they drink while they knit, so i'm undecided on this one.

additionally, i've sort of talked a few co-workers into running on Thursday nights. tomorrow was supposed to be the first night but with all the snow, i think i may be going solo.

that's ok though because I'm going to a French restaurant with my housemates for dinner tomorrow night! one of the girls works there and so we can get 50% off our meal. score! i've actually spent most evenings this week hanging out with my housemates in the kitchen over dinner. it's just too cold to do anything else and also, i'm lazy. :-)

No comments: