Monday, July 20, 2009

nobody said it was easy -

- but no one ever said it would be so hard to come home. It is really hard to wake up and go to work each morning knowing my team is still working in Peru. The thrill of taking a shower and flushing a toilet are gone already. And I literally walked into my apartment after being gone for 17 days and had only two thoughts:

Whose stuff is all this?
God, it is WHITE in here

It didn't even look like my apartment. I left here on July 2 feeling pretty happy about things, and now I'm prowling restlessly trying to figure out what to do with myself. This certainly isn't the longest I have ever been away from home, but this is the hardest it's ever been to come back. Life in Peru was very simple - no phone, no email, no TV, fresh food for every meal (and we got three squares a day, which I ate at a TABLE with other people). My life here involves a cell phone, a Blackberry, a phone at work, two email accounts, not much TV though really, and lots of cereal and quesadillas eaten over my kitchen sink at odd hours of the day. Oh, and lunch at my desk. Living. The. Dream. :-P

I suppose this too shall pass but in the meantime, I'm struggling...

No comments: