Friday, July 3, 2009

city in the clouds part two


Plaza de Armas, Cusco, Peru


Sleep is overrated...24 hours of awake time and counting



After a long, long, long nap, Maren and I woke up and decided to sample the local fare, which happened to involve...pizza. And beer. Quite a lot of beer, actually. We tried a nice lager called Cusquena and apparently it is only served in liter-sized bottles. Once the drinks were flowing, we made friends with the restaurant manager, waiter, and lounge singer, which resulted in free samples of another local favorite - Pisco Sours. Needless to say, we got a little barracho (drunk).

Luis, the waiter was super cool and we had an interesting conversation about the fact that Peru is quite flooded with volunteers trying to "help". Seriously. Our entire plane from ATL to LIM contained nothing but overexcited youth groups wearing matching t-shirts. Clearly I'm not in a position to throw stones (although Maren and I don't have matchy matchy outfits), but the whole thing made me wonder if I'm not a little full of myself to march off to Peru and try to save the world. However, Luis said that many Peruvians are just barely surviving and that they are glad for any help they can get. This made me feel a little less pompous. Now if we could only figure out what we will be doing here...

No comments: