Friday, March 6, 2009

New York, New York

So, I got to Penn Station pretty late last night and dragged my uncle (who let me crash with him) out for cocktails and a semi-swanky dinner in Hell’s Kitchen. One of the things I love about New York is that no matter what time of day it is, you can always find a good restaurant and a nice glass of Chivas. Ha.

I went to bed kinda buzzed and woke up this morning to a killer view from the 19th floor. I had the best intentions to get some work done and then go to Times Square for a quick store check, but ended up laying around in my pajamas until about 1:30. Then I met my friend Jenifer for a long, leisurely lunch in Bryant Park involving smoked salmon and more Scotch. I just love vacation.

Around 5 pm my Cincinnati crew – Maren, Malia, Anne, and Sarah – arrived at the hotel and we hit the subway to go surprise Emily at her apartment on the Upper West Side. We have been keeping this trip a secret since, I don’t know, last August, and we were all relieved to finally let the cat out of the bag. It was awesome too - Em was completely shocked to find us in her lobby but recovered nicely over a bottle of red wine.


Pre-drinking at Chez Mason (Em and Bill's apartment)

Dinner was at a super hip French restaurant in/near Soho and a couple people in our group ordered steak tartar. I’ve never seen this as an entrĂ©e before and was completely intrigued with the process of mixing bunches of sauces together, then combining them with raw meat right at the table. The end result looked something like an uncooked meatloaf. I’m not sure I could have gotten down more than a bite of it (I didn’t even try).


The Gang (why do I always smirk in pictures???)

Afterwards we were a little tipsy and wandered around the streets singing “I’m Proud to Be An American” (no idea why) and finally landed on the patio of some local bar that had Yuengling on draft. Cheers to that! A giant group of twenty-somethings started smoking marijuana and one of the bartenders came out and said “The weed smells nice but can you please stop that?” Ha, ha only in New York.


Silly girls...

No comments: