Thursday, March 5, 2009

Getting there is...educational

It’s been an interesting day. I started out in Eastern PA for a client meeting and then rode an Amtrak to NYC for my friend Emily’s surprise 30th birthday party. I’ve never been on an Amtrak before and I’ve learned a few things on this trip that I probably should have already known. For instance, you don’t want to be in the bathroom when the train starts moving. And...don’t drink the water. Even if there are cups, a spigot, a brass plate that says “Water” and no signage or any other indication that the water is vile. Also, a friend of mine warned me not to put anything on the floor of the train unless I don't mind having my luggage peed on. I have so much stuff for work that I threw caution to the wind on this one and fully utilized my 12 inches of floor space, but I guess I got lucky...everything looks dry...

Out the train window, I saw parts of the country that I’ve only read about prior to now. There is some serious money in Eastern PA and some sprawling, palatial estates to go with it. Just a few miles away are some of the poorest neighborhoods I think I’ve ever seen. Perhaps the most disturbing thing of all was the quintessential farmhouse scene I saw: silo, big red barn, cows, sheep, etc. with the steaming towers of Three Mile Island in the background.

Funny, I wasn’t expecting a last-minute Amtrak ride to turn into such thought-provoking travel.

No comments: