Saturday, November 22, 2008

Exploring Portland

Anne, Susie and I had made a list of all the stuff we wanted to see in Portland (sober), so despite a long day/night on Friday, we were awake, showered, and on the free trolley to PSU by 11 am on Saturday. Destination? The Farmer's Market of course. Everything there was either a) seasonal, b) organic or c) both. It all smelled incredible (lots of hot food in addition to produce) and it made me wonder why I don't truck over to Findlay Market in Cincinnati more often.


Farmer's Market

Anywho. We explored PSU then hopped back on the trolley (troll-e) to head our separate ways for a bit. Anne, Susie, and Shawn headed for the Rogue (dead guy ale) brewery and I went to meet my friend Joe and his family at Hot Lips pizza. Joe and I used to work together so I was excited to catch up with him and get the scoop on what it was like to move from Cincinnati to Portland. Also, the pizza was fantastic - broccoli on top with a squash-based sauce...

After lunch I went to find my "roommates" at Rogue; however, when I got there, I found that it was difficult to hold a conversation with anyone at the table. Anne and Susie both had half-finished beer sampler platters in front of them, and Susie gleefully informed me that they were on Round Two already (that's a lot of beer). I hadn't been drinking during my lunch, so I ordered the Winter seasonal (Hazelnut something or other) to try and catch up.

A few hours passed and we were hungry again, so we left to go forage for food. While looking for grub we stumbled upon a Safeway, so we popped in for a quick store check (you can take the girl out of the branding firm for a few days... :-) but didn't actually get anything to eat. Luckily there was a fabulous Mexican place just around the corner where we grabbed some takeout before heading home to eat tamales, watch Wall-e, and pass out.


The "Angels"

By 7:30 pm we were wide awake (sort of) and thirsty for something besides beer. Shawn located a martini bar nearby called Olive or Twist (cute, no?) where everyone besides me ordered fancy vodka concoctions (I opted for Jameson's on the rocks). We had two rounds and enjoyed some people watching, since we were surrounded by yuppies and a really old guy on a date with a really young girl. Good family fun!

We were starving after a few drinks and craving crepes, so we went to Le Happy, which serves crepes AND PBR. Score. Le Happy was dark, tiny, and divey looking and had stuff on the menu like:

- Jambonjambon crepes (ham + bacon??)
- Le trash blanche crepes (came with PBR and pork rinds)

"Total Eclipse of the Heart" was on the radio and we sang backup, loudly, but the other patrons didn't care and even asked us who sings it (Bonnie Tyler. Duh.). Le Happy also had board games (for those who just can't wait the five minutes it takes to make a crepe) so we played a few rounds of Connect Four before heading home for the night.


Le Drunken Games

No comments: